Southwark Council Cost of Living Fund
In response to the cost of living crisis, we're providing £5m of financial support to low income and vulnerable households.
Who will get support
- All households living in Council Tax bands E to H who received Council Tax Reduction on 30 June 2022, will get a one-off payment of £150.
- Another one-off payment of £120 will be paid to all households who received Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction on 30 June 2022.
- Children getting free school meals at Southwark schools will get extra support during the school holidays worth more than £100 per child.
- Families with a child transferring to a Southwark secondary school in September and eligible for a School Uniform Grant will get extra support worth £55 per child.
- Low income, vulnerable households facing an emergency and unable to meet their most essential short-term needs can get one-off help through the Council’s Emergency Support Scheme (SESS).
How payments will be made
You don’t need to apply or contact us. If you received Council Tax Reduction or Housing Benefit on 30 June 2022 we'll pay you by BACS or send you a post office voucher between 9 August 2022 and 30 September 2022. Those eligible for both payments of £150 and £120 will get a single payment worth £270.
- If you pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit, we'll pay your award into the same bank account. We'll send you a letter confirming the amount. If you don't pay Council Tax by Direct Debit, we'll send you a voucher which can be cashed at any Post Office - proof of identity will need to be shown. There is a time limit of one month to cash vouchers.
- Extra help for children eligible for free school meals at Southwark schools is delivered by the school. Contact your child’s school for more information
- Extra help with school uniform costs will be paid to eligible households in this Autumn. Eligible households don't need to apply for extra support. Vouchers will be sent by post that can be cashed at any Post Office. If you have more than one child that qualifies, you will receive more than one Post
Office Payout voucher.
You can apply for emergency support from the Southwark Emergency Support Scheme.
Page last updated: 18 October 2022