The Blue Badge scheme is for people with severe mobility problems who find it difficult to use public transport. Holders of this badge can park closer to their destination.
We only issue Blue Badges to those who meet the eligibility criteria, not to family members, carers or friends. The badge can be used in any car the badge holder is driving or is a passenger in.
Who can apply
You're eligible to apply for a badge if you:
- are registered blind
- receive a War Pension Mobility Supplement
- receive the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance
- in receipt of 8 points or more under the 'Moving Around' activity of the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- receive a lump sum from the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme at tariff 1-8 and have been assessed by the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency as being unable or virtually unable to walk
You may also be eligible to apply for a badge for yourself or a child over two years old, if you/they:
- have a permanent and substantial disability that prevents you from walking, or makes walking very difficult
- drive a motor vehicle regularly, have a severe disability in both arms, and are unable to operate all or some types of parking meters, or would find it very difficult to operate them
Children under the age of 3
Are eligible, if they:
- must always be accompanied by bulky medical equipment which cannot be carried around without great difficulty
- need to be kept near a vehicle at all times, so that they can be treated in the vehicle or quickly driven to a place where they can be treated (such as a hospital)
Blue Badges for organisations
If you're an organisation caring for disabled people and meet the above criteria, you may be entitled to a badge, but this is entirely at our discretion. If you'd like an application form, email or call 0207 525 2146 or 0300 300 3602 (find out about call charges)
You can apply for a Blue Badge for yourself or for someone else online.
Cost of a Blue Badge
- £10 per badge (you'll need to pay with a credit / debit card)
We now charge for each badge issued, including renewals and replacements for lost or stolen badges.
Page last updated: 19 September 2017