Occupational therapy services

Adaptations to your home

We will arrange an adaptation where this meets your eligible needs. We will discuss the options available to you following your needs assessment. If your property is not suitable to meet your long term needs, advice and guidance can be provided to help you move to a more suitable property.

Minor adaptations

These include:

  • external handrails, grab rails or alterations to steps
  • grab rails or drop down rails near the toilet, to help with transfers
  • provision of a second stair rail to help you use the stairs more safely

Major adaptations

These include:

  • ramps to allow wheelchair access to your property
  • level or low-access showers if you cannot otherwise safely use a bath
  • a hoist to help your carer move you
  • stair lifts to allow access to essential facilities

We will consider what support you need to stay safe and independent while you are waiting for the major adaptations to be completed.

Paying for adaptations

The cost of supplying fixed equipment or carrying out adaptations will vary depending on what is required and who owns your property.

Southwark Council tenants

  • Any recommended adaptations or alterations to your home will be organised and paid for by the council.

People who own or privately rent their home

  • You may be entitled to a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) to pay for the adaptation work to your home. The maximum grant is £30,000. This grant is means tested and you may have to make a contribution. The amount you may need to pay towards the cost of the work will depend on your income and savings. 

    We will refer you to the council's Home Improvement Agency (HIA) who will arrange for the Disabled Facilities Grant to be completed for you. No financial check is needed when the adaptation is being carried out for a child.

Housing Association tenants

  • We will contact your housing association to ask them to carry out the recommended adaptation work. Some housing associations may not have enough money to pay for the major adaptation work and they may ask you to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant.

You can find out more about the Disabled Facilities Grant  at GOV.UK.

Repairs and maintenance of adaptations

If you are a council tenant you need to contact:

  • the Housing Adaptations Team on 020 7525 1866. If you have a stair lift or ceiling tract hoists you should contact 020 7525 7745, for out of hours 0800 952 4444
  • 020 7525 1866 if the item is still under warranty (1 year)
  • lifts on 020 7525 7745 (office hours) or 0800 952 4444 (out of hours)  if an emergency repair is required

Housing association tenants should check with their individual housing association. It is good practice for housing associations to take on any servicing, maintenance and repair needs.

If you are an owner/occupier the adaptation becomes your property after it is fitted. As a result you are responsible for any servicing, maintenance and repair needs.

If you are a private tenant  the adaptation becomes your property after it is fitted. You should check whether your landlord will take on any responsibility for repairs and maintenance of the adaptation; if they do not, you are responsible.

How do I ask for an occupational therapy assessment?

To request an occupational therapy assessment, please call 020 7525 3324 or email OccupationalTherapyHelpdesk@southwark.gov.uk

We get a large number of requests for our services, so if your need is not urgent you may have to wait a while before we can assess your difficulties.

Page last updated: 27 April 2018