Southwark scholarship scheme
Applications closed on 1 April 2013
Planning to go to university in 2013 and live in Southwark? Worried about getting into debt? Then read on...
We recognise that the prospect of leaving university with large debts may make people think twice about attending higher education to realise their potential.
That is why we created a scholarship scheme that could pay a contribution towards the cost of university fees.
Now in its third year, the scheme has already supported a number of people to attend the university course of their choice and improve future career prospects.
Are you eligible?
The scholarship scheme will be allocated according to financial need. To be eligible you must:
- Not already have a degree, this must be your first degree
- Have a good academic record of achievement
- Be a Southwark resident for three years
- Have made a positive contribution to your neighbourhood or Southwark community
- Demonstrate financial hardship (maximum household income of £21,000)
You can apply online. Online application closes on 1 April 2013.
Following a short listing process in August selected candidates will be asked to attend an interview in early September 2013.
Proof of financial hardship
If you state that you are eligible to receive free school meals, your free school meal eligibility can be checked automatically and confidentially using information held by the Department for Work and Pensions.
To avoid having to send copies of your personal information you will be asked to provide your National Insurance Number (N.I.) and date of birth.
If you do not receive free school meals you will be asked to provide details of a member/members of your household who receive the following:
- Income support
- Income-based Job Seekers Allowance
- Child Tax Credit
- Guaranteed element of State Pension Credit (sole source)
- Support under Part IV of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Employment and Support Allowance
If you are shortlisted you will be asked to supply evidence of your entitlement. Proof must be dated in the last six months.