Design, heritage and character
You can find our studies, strategies and evidence base documents produced to support our design, heritage and urban character policies in our development plan and the related supplementary planning documents (SPDs).
You can view our characterisation studies and other important documents on this page.
Our characterisation studies seek to establish and evaluate the current character of areas undergoing regeneration. They help to set out opportunities to preserve and enhance the unique character of Southwark’s neighbourhoods.
Studies have been prepared to support the adopted and emerging draft planning policies and guidance for:
- Bankside, Borough and London Bridge (2013) (pdf, 15.9mb)
- BBLB Trinity and Tabbard June 2014 addendum (pdf, 4.4mb)
- Old Kent Road (2016) (part 1 of 3) (pdf, 8.6mb)
- Old Kent Road (2016) (part 2 of 3) (pdf, 7.2mb)
- Old Kent Road (2016) (part 3 of 3 – appendices) (pdf, 11.5mb)
- Peckham and Nunhead (2012) (pdf, 17mb)
- Elephant and Castle Opportunity Area Characterisation Study (2011) (pdf, 26mb)
English Heritage (now known as Historic England) carried out a comprehensive survey of heritage assets within the Old Kent Road area originally published in 2009. We have helped use this survey to inform our approach to the regeneration within the Old Kent Road opportunity area in the draft Old Kent Road area action plan/opportunity area planning framework. You can view and download the study below
English Heritage Old Kent Road survey 2009 (pdf, 9.2mb)
Page last updated: 12 October 2017