General advice and help

If you're considering carrying out building works you must ensure the work complies with the London Building Acts Amendment Act 1939, the Building Act 1984 and the The following link opens in a new windowBuilding Regulations. 

You may also need to notify the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). Their website provides information about your duties under the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015.

Do I need building regulations approval

Find out if you need building regulations approval by visiting the website.

If you need help

We can offer you guidance and advise on:

  • whether you need building control consent
  • what additional information you need to give us
  • what application forms you need to fill in
  • what charges (pdf, 96kb) you will need to pay

Whether or not you appoint your own agent, architect, engineer or surveyor we will offer guidance and advice on your project. We cannot act as your consultant but can often make useful suggestions to help you with your project. You can email us if you'd like to request the service.

Although Southwark building control will notify you or your representative on aspects of your application, it's advisable that you liaise on a regular basis with your representative to ensure you understand the overall position of your application.

If your building work is defined as requiring an individual determined charge, complete the building control quotation request online form and read all the guidance associated with the form.

Further guidance can be found in the Southwark online guide to extending your home.

Page last updated: 05 February 2018