The future of our cemeteries
Camberwell Old - Area Z burial area and Underhill Road boundary improvements
In line with the planning permissions granted in October 2015, we aim to:
- Bring an ‘out of bounds’ area back into public use
- Create 700 burial spaces
- Increase the ecological value and biodiversity of the area by
- removing soil that was contaminated by unauthorised waste disposal
- clearing scrub vegetation
- planting 60 native trees and substantial shrub planting
- building habitat features for amphibians, reptiles, mammals and insects
- Improve access and appearance of the cemetery with a new pedestrian entrance and new railings, replacing a dilapidated fence
Works are complete.
The scheme requires land remodelling of existing ground levels with clearance of poor quality soils and unsuitable materials which are the result of past unauthorised waste disposal. Incorporation of additional good quality soil will be undertaken to prepare the area for burial and to make it safe for public access.
We will plant 60 new trees, including native species, to improve the biodiversity and the overall nature conservation value of the area.
The works have been designed in conjunction with the London Wildlife Trust to protect and enhance the biodiversity of the site.
In order to improve public access and improve circulation, a new pathway will be created and an existing one refurbished.
Planning permission was granted in October 2015 and our planning conditions have since been approved. Faculty permission has been received from the Diocese of Southwark.
We aim to complete Phase 2 in 2020. You can find out more by viewing our Cemetery FAQ page.
- Proposal boards (September 2015) (pdf, 9.5mb)
- Phase 1 survey (June 2015) (pdf, 1.3mb)
- Tree survey (July 2015) (pdf, 1.1mb)
- Bat survey report (May 2015) (pdf, 1.3mb)
- Faculty statement (pdf, 657kb)
- Bat survey reports, London Wildlife Trust (September 2015) (pdf, 12.6mb)
- Phase 1 habitat survey (December 2011) (pdf, 4.1mb)
- Phase 2 habitat survey (July 2014) (pdf, 2.9mb)
- Detailed quantitative risk assessment (September 2011) (pdf, 624kb)
- Land quality assessment including soil survey, part 1a (November 2013) (pdf, 5.1mb)
- Land quality assessment including soil survey, part 1b (November 2013) (pdf, 4.3mb)
- Land quality assessment including soil survey, part 2 (November 2013) (pdf, 6.3mb)
- Independent drainage strategy review – outcome (November 2016) (pdf, 4.5mb)
Last updated: 23 June 2017