Council announces details of services affected by Jubilee Bank Holiday
Published Thursday, 24 May 2012
Southwark Council is reminding residents to plan ahead as some council services will be affected by the Jubilee Bank Holidays on Monday 4 and Tuesday 5 June 2012.
Some council offices and services will be closed for the two days while others may operate under different opening hours or operating their Out of Hours service.
Full details of services affected by the Jubilee weekend on available from the council's website at www.southwark.gov.uk.
People will still be able to make payments through the 24/7 webpages at http://www.southwark.gov.uk/payforit
The main points to remember are:
- One Stop Shops: Southwark's One Stop Shops will be closed over the whole weekend and bank holidays, with normal service resuming on 6 June
- Call Centre: The Out of Hours service will running at the call centre. Telephone the usual number 020 7525 5000
- Cash Offices: The council's cash offices at Peckham (Bournemouth Road) and Walworth (Walworth Road) will be closed on Monday 4 and Tuesday 5 June
- Leisure Centres: The council-run leisure centres will be open from 9am to 5pm on bank holidays (full details are available from each centre's website)
- Libraries and Museums: All Southwark libraries will be closed for the Jubilee Bank Holiday dates. The usual advertised opening hours resume on Wednesday 6 June
The Local History Library and Archives will be closed to the public on Monday 4 and Tuesday 5 June.
Cuming Museum will be closed to the public on Tuesday 5 June and will be closed on Monday 4 as usual.
Both services will be open as usual on Saturday 2 June and normal service will resume from Wednesday 6 June.
Social Care: If you or someone you care for attends a day centre or access community support services and activities remember to check with them individually which days and times may be affected by the bank holiday so that you can make alternative arrangement if you need to.
Fred Francis and Southwark Park OP Day Centres will be closed on Monday 4 and Tuesday 5 June, but Meals on Wheels will be provided as normal and home care put in place as required. The Maroon Resource Centre will also be closed on the above dates but Orient Street respite unit will be open as normal.
Markets: Southwark's markets will be operating under Sunday hours (up to 4pm) on Tuesday 5 June.
Housing: The Area Management Service will not be operating over the bank holiday but emergencies will be responded to through call centre contact.
Traffic and Parking: Normal bank holiday parking and moving traffic enforcement in place on both Monday 4 and Tuesday 5 June 2012.
Please be aware there are a number of large events and street parties taking place over the Jubilee weekend. Please check Southwark Council's website for road closures and up-to-date travel information.
In particular Sunday 3 June is the day of the Thames Diamond Jubilee River Pageant event. Southwark will be affected by some road closures adjacent to the Main Bridge areas. (Waterloo - London- Southwark and Tower Bridge).
South Dock Marina: The Marina's operating hours over the Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend are as follows:
- Saturday 2 June 8am to 5pm
- Sunday 3 June 10am to 9pm
- Monday 4 June 7am to 5pm
- Tuesday 5 June 7am - 4pm
The Marina will have an additional 350 people visiting us on Sunday 3 June for the River Pageant so roads may become congested.
Also Rope Street/ Plough Way and Calypso Way will be heavily congested due to lorries being parked and collecting boats from the Marina.