Sections including Council Tax are available on our beta site. We're adding new sections all the time - we've recently added Business rates. Please give them a try and tell us what you think...
Southwark sets out ten fairer future promises
Published Thursday, 07 July 2011
The council is committed to delivering the Leader's vision for the borough.
The promises, ranging from keeping council tax increases to below inflation to building new family homes on the Aylesbury Estate, are contained in the new Council Plan which was approved by Council Assembly on July 6.
The Leader of the Council, Cllr Peter John, said: "As a council we are absolutely committed to building a new relationship of transparency and trust with our residents. The council plan sets out what our promise to build a fairer future in Southwark will mean in practice for residents, by detailing the real and visible changes that we will make in the next three years".
He added: "Even in these difficult financial circumstances, we are a council that is promising to deliver for our residents. It will be tough, but by making the right decisions and spending every penny of taxpayers' money as if it were coming from our own pocket I am confident we will succeed."
Here's the full list of Southwark's Fairer Future promises:
1. Provide improved value for money and keep council tax increases below inflation.
2. Work with residents and the police to make the borough safer for all by cracking down on antisocial behaviour and implementing our new violent crime strategy.
3. Deliver the first three years of our five year plan to make every Council home warm, dry and safe.
4. Improve our customer service with more online services, including delivery of a better housing repairs service, independently verified by tenants.
5. Introduce free healthy school meals for all primary school pupils, and champion improved educational attainment for our borough's children.
6. Support vulnerable people to live independent, safe and healthy lives by giving them more choice and control over their care.
7. Encourage healthy lifestyles by transforming Burgess Park, opening a new swimming pool at Elephant and Castle and awarding £2m to local projects to leave a lasting Olympic legacy.
8. Open Canada Water library in autumn 2011, open a library in Camberwell and conduct a thorough review of the library service.
9. Bring the full benefits and opportunities of regeneration to all Southwark's residents and build new family homes on the Aylesbury Estate and at Elephant and Castle.
10. Double recycling rates from 20% to 40% by 2014 and keep our streets clean.
Cllr John has also challenged the community to work with the council to come up with innovative solutions to local issues. He said: "We must be open about the tough choices that will always need to be made and will work to empower the community to take more control over shaping their own services. Council and community must work together to deliver a Fairer Future for All."
Council Assembly has agreed the Council plan, including the fairer future promises. The Council plan sets out the most important actions that the Council will be doing across all services and areas to deliver the vision of a Fairer Future for all.