rating button

Southwark Council would like to use cookies to store information on your computer, to improve our website. Some of the cookies we use are essential for parts of the site to operate and have already been set.

You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy notice.

Jump to content | Change font size and colours |

| or register?

Choose a service...

Refuse collections

We only collect normal household rubbish that cannot be recycled using our household recycling services such as the blue bin or box, the clear bag or communal recycling facilities.

If you have a food and garden waste collection from your property please do not include food waste in your refuse bin.

Garden waste should not go into your refuse bin. If you do not have a food and garden waste collection, we also provide a weekly garden waste service for those living in flats or on estates.

Items that should be included in your refuse bin are:

  • Plastic wrapping
  • Sweet wrappers and crisp packets
  • Polystyrene packaging

If you do not have a food and garden waste collection then food scraps can go into your refuse bin. If you have a balcony or outdoor space at home you may wish to consider composting them into soil improver with a wormery.

All broken glass that is placed inside your refuse bin must be wrapped in cardboard or another ridged material so that it cannot pierce the bag and cause anyone harm.

Your household rubbish should be put in your refuse bin or black bag. If you are producing more rubbish than can be stored in your bin, please email us at environment@southwark.gov.uk . We can arrange for more help with recycling or, in some cases such as large families with young children, arrange for a bigger bin.

If you need to throw away bulky items like fridges, furniture and mattresses, we will collect them for free with the bulky waste collection service

We also have special collection services for hazardous waste and healthcare waste.

Bookmark this page

Share this page

Waste management

Address: 43 Devon Street
(Off Old Kent Road)
SE15 1AL

Tel: 020 7525 2000



Contact us

Southwark Council
PO BOX 64529
London SE1P 5LX

Useful contacts...

Follow us What is this?

  • RSS feed
  • youTube channel
  • twitter account
  • facebook fan
  • flickr photostream