Albany Rd, SE5
We are pleased to announce the British Cycling BMX Series Rounds 7 and 8 is coming to Burgess Park
The British Cycling BMX Series Rounds 7 and 8 will take place right here, at our BMX Track on 20 and 21 June 2015. Visit our webpage for further information.
At 56 hectares, Burgess Park is Southwark's largest park stretching from Camberwell and Walworth in the west to Peckham and the Old Kent Road in the east.
Burgess Park is unique in that it is a young park, developed as a result of the Abecrombie Plan for open spaces in 1943. The area was home to factories, densely populated streets and the Surrey Canal but badly bombed during World War II.
The park was built between the 1950s and 1980s, named after Councillor Jessie Burgess, Camberwell's first woman Mayor in 1973.
In 2012 Burgess Park re-opened after an £8m transformation, establishing it as a park central to the local community and recognised more widely for its heritage, sports facilities, lake, wildlife, design and horticultural excellence and even barbecues.
Please view our handy Love Burgess Park flyer - packed full of useful information including our BBQ areas, holding an event, our amenities and a wide range of high quality sports facilities.
- Cafe: The Park Life Cafe is located in the centre of the park outside Chumleigh Gardens.
- Toilets: Entrance to Chumleigh Gardens buildings, Tennis Centre at Addington Square near Camberwell Road, Burgess Park Community Sports Centre on Cobourg Road and at the BMX track near Wells/Albany Way.
- Barbeques: There are two designated areas for barbecues round by the lake. You can use one of the purpose built barbecues that just need charcoal or bring a disposable one for use on the concrete plinths.
- Play areas:The Adventure Playground for 8-16s is on Albany Road near Wells Way. The under fives playground situated in front of the cafe at Chumleigh Gardens next to the over fives playground with new climbing equipment and banked hills for cycling and rolling down.
- Car Park: The car park has spaces for 25 cars. Parking is free for up to four hours.
- Lake: Located in the corner of the park near Old Kent Road and Albany Road. Day membership for fishing available.
- Chumleigh Gardens: The world gardens are designed to reflect traditional English, Islamic, Mediterranean, Oriental and Caribbean planting. There are also raised beds for community gardeners and school groups to grow their own plants. The gardens are free to visit and all are welcomed, but please keep dogs on a lead.
- Glengall Wharf Garden - The Burgess Park food growing project meet every Sunday from 1pm-3pm.
- Conference centre: There are conference facilities in the Grade II listed building for hire at Chumleigh Gardens managed by 1st Place.
- Sports centre: Located in Cobourg Road - free indoor gym and a range of sports available including community football, rugby and cricket for children and adults. Grass pitches and astroturf can be hired by teams and school groups.
- Cricket pitch: Pitches can be booked - see the booking page for more information.
- Football pitch: Pitches can be booked - see the booking page for details.
- Tennis courts: Located at the Camberwell Road entrance to the park. Open everyday from 12pm to 9pm except public holidays - call 020 7703 4275.
- Fishing: Fishing permits and day tickets are available from the anglers club office in the park - call 07958 282169. Fees and charges are available on the downloads page.
- Running: Follow the 5km route around the park by using the butterfly symbols painted on the pathway and the recycled iron markers. Register with parkrun for weekly time trialled runs.
- BMX Track: 400-metre BMX National Standard track is open daily except Mondays until 9pm. All welcome from novices to experienced riders subject to an initial induction.
- Park entrances: Albany Road, Old Kent Road, Chumleigh Street, Wells Way.
Car park: Albany Road.
Bike park: Chumleigh Gardens off Albany Road.
Tube: Elephant and Castle (Northern or Bakerloo line).
- 53, 63, 78,168, 172, 363, 453 Old Kent Road entrance
- 12, 35, 40, 45, 68, 468 Camberwell Road entrance
- 42, 343 Albany Road entrance