Libraries and Young Volunteers
Young Volunteers Needed
The Summer Reading Challenge 2014
We have a volunteer opportunity for young people age 15 to 17.
Between Saturday 12 July to Sunday 7 September 2014, all Southwark Libraries will run the annual reading event for children called The Summer Reading Challenge
The Purpose of Summer Reading Challenge
We want to keep children reading throughout the summer by providing them with an enjoyable reading activity where they read six books and collect gifts along the way. This year the theme is called Mythical Maze and it promises to be lots of fun, with a reading list packed with dragons, mermaids, unicorns and stories that feature other mythical creatures.
Tasks for the volunteer
Once recruited training will be provided and the volunteers will assist library staff in the following areas:
- Meet and greet participants
- Explain to children and parents what the Summer Reading Challenge is about
- Join children up to the Summer Reading Challenge
- Listen to children tell you about the book they have read
- Provide children with their gifts
Even if you can only volunteer for a week or two over the summer period you are still able to get involved in this great opportunity.
The Benefits - Volunteering in libraries can assist you to gain:
- The Duke of Edinburgh's Award, Volunteers Section
- The vInspired Awards
- Improved employment prospects for the future
- Experience of working in a local authority
- Improved inter-personal skills
How to join up
Peckham Library, Young Volunteers Information and Recruitment Session, for young people 14 to 17 years, Saturday 14 June 2014, 12pm to 2pm
Canada Water Library, Young Volunteers Information and Recruitment Session, for young people 14 to 17 years, Saturday 28 June 2014, 11am to 12pm
For more information contact:
Click on this link to find out more about Volunteering in Southwark Libraries.