East Street Library
168-170 Old Kent Road
Tel: 020 7525 2000
Fax: 020 7703 2224
How to get to the library
Bus: 21, 42, 53, 63, 172, 453
Temporary extension of East Street Library opening times
From Tuesday 2 April 2013 until further notice the opening hours at East Street Library will be extended as Newington Library on Walworth Road is closed due to the fire on 25 March 2013.
- Monday 2pm to 7pm
- Tuesday 2pm to 7pm
- Wednesday 2pm to 7pm
- Thursday 10am to 3pm
- Friday 2pm to 7pm
- Saturday 10am to 5pm
- Sunday closed
A taste of Latin America on the Old Kent Road
Southwark libraries invites you to come and try out East Street Library's Spanish language collection.
Situated on the corner of Old Kent Road and East Street this friendly local library is just a few minutes away from the Elephant and Castle.
The collection features:
- Fiction from a wide range of Latin American authors
- Spanish translations of popular titles from around the world
- A range of non fiction including history, biographies and cookery books
- Language courses for Spanish speakers learning English
- Children's titles in Spanish and in dual language Spanish and English
- The best of Latin American cinema on dvd
All books and language courses are free to borrow and world cinema dvds are just £1 for a one week rental.
It doesn't matter where you live or work, anyone can join Southwark libraries and borrow items from the collection!
All the books have been selected by the Latin American community, with the support of the Latin American Women's Rights Service.
What else is on offer
- 10 adult study spaces available
- Baby and toddler sessions run every Thursday 10.30am to 12pm. No sessions over the summer break
- Stories and Crafts every fortnight Saturdays 10.30am to 11.30am
- Homework Help children's pop in in for help with homework, every Monday, 4pm to 6pm
- "Introduction to Ancestry". Alternate Fridays 5pm to 6.30pm. These 90 minute sessions are designed to give you a tour of the Ancestry website. If you are curious about how to start researching your family history, and are familiar with using a computer, then book a place and discover how you can use Ancestry for free
- Conversation cafe every Tuesday 4pm to 5pm. A free, friendly and informal ESOL group, meeting every week to help improve English language skills. For adults - no need to book
- Photocopying facilities
- Free internet access and word processing facilities. You may need to book in advance
- Collection of the latest films on DVD
- Free computer classes and learning in libraries
Access for people with disabilities
There is wheelchair access to the library but no dedicated parking. There are no toilets. There is an induction loop at the counter.