East Street Library
168-170 Old Kent Road
Tel: 020 7525 2000
Fax: 020 7703 2224
How to get to the library
Bus: 21, 42, 53, 63, 172, 453
August Bank Holiday
All Southwark libraries will be closed on Monday 25 August 2014 for the August Bank Holiday. For all other days, libraries will have their usual opening hours.
Temporary extension of East Street Library opening times
From Tuesday 2 April 2013 until further notice the opening hours at East Street Library will be extended as Newington Library on Walworth Road is closed due to the fire on 25 March 2013.
- Monday 2pm to 7pm
- Tuesday 2pm to 7pm
- Wednesday 2pm to 7pm
- Thursday 10am to 3pm
- Friday 2pm to 7pm
- Saturday 10am to 5pm
- Sunday closed
Activities for children this summer
- Mysterious Dragons with author Margaret Bateson-Hill: Dragons will come to life when you hear fantastic stories, Thursday 24 July 2014, 1.30pm to 2.30pm, for all ages.
- How to make your dragon: Will your dragon be, masterful, friendly or invincible? We'll show you how to make a fabulous dragon, Monday 28 July 2014, 2.30pm to 4pm, age 4 years and above.
- Mythical Makeover: Will you be Medusa, a Troll, Unicorn a Mermaid or something else... Monday 4 August 2014, 2.30pm to 4pm, age 4 years and above.
- Step into the Mythical Maze Game: with a roll of the dice, take yourself on an adventure through the tunnels of the labyrinth, in a race to be the first to find your way home, Saturday 9 August 2014, 2.30pm to 4pm, for all the family.
- Myth Storymaker: Using characters from the mythical world, create your story and act it out, Monday 11 August 2014, 2.30pm to 4pm, age 4 years and above.
- The Amazing Mythical Hunt: Find your Trolls, Mermaids, and Unicorns in the library, Monday 18 August 2014, 2.30pm to 4pm, age 4 years and above.
- Legendary Masks: Make a mask of a Minotaur, Mermaid, Cyclops or a Dragon, Wednesday 27 August 2014, 2.30pm to 4pm, age 4 years and over.
A taste of Latin America on the Old Kent Road
Southwark libraries invites you to come and try out East Street Library's Spanish language collection.
Situated on the corner of Old Kent Road and East Street this friendly local library is just a few minutes away from the Elephant and Castle.
The collection features:
- Fiction from a wide range of Latin American authors
- Spanish translations of popular titles from around the world
- A range of non fiction including history, biographies and cookery books
- Language courses for Spanish speakers learning English
- Children's titles in Spanish and in dual language Spanish and English
- The best of Latin American cinema on dvd
All books and language courses are free to borrow and world cinema dvds are just £1 for a one week rental.
It doesn't matter where you live or work, anyone can join Southwark libraries and borrow items from the collection!
All the books have been selected by the Latin American community, with the support of the Latin American Women's Rights Service.
What else is on offer
- 10 adult study spaces available
- Baby and toddler sessions run every Thursday 10.30am to 12pm. No sessions over the summer break
- Stories and Crafts every fortnight Saturdays 10.30am to 11.30am
- Homework Help children's pop in in for help with homework, every Monday, 4pm to 6pm
- Conversation cafe every Tuesday 4pm to 5pm. A free, friendly and informal ESOL group, meeting every week to help improve English language skills. For adults - no need to book
- Photocopying facilities
- Free internet access and word processing facilities. You may need to book in advance
- Collection of the latest films on DVD
- Free computer classes and learning in libraries
Access for people with disabilities
There is wheelchair access to the library but no dedicated parking. There are no toilets. There is an induction loop at the counter.