East Street Library
168-170 Old Kent Road
Tel: 020 7525 2000
Fax: 020 7703 2224
How to get to the library
Bus: 21, 42, 53, 63, 172, 453
- Monday 2pm to 7pm
- Tuesday 2pm to 7pm
- Wednesday Closed
- Thursday 10am to 3pm
- Friday 2pm to 7pm
- Saturday 10am to 5pm
- Sunday closed
A taste of Latin America on the Old Kent Road
Southwark libraries invites you to come and try out East Street Library's Spanish language collection.
Situated on the corner of Old Kent Road and East Street this friendly local library is just a few minutes away from the Elephant and Castle.
The collection features:
- Fiction from a wide range of Latin American authors
- Spanish translations of popular titles from around the world
- A range of non fiction including history, biographies and cookery books
- Language courses for Spanish speakers learning English
- Children's titles in Spanish and in dual language Spanish and English
- The best of Latin American cinema on DVD
All books and language courses are free to borrow and world cinema DVDs are just £1 for a one week rental.
It doesn't matter where you live or work, anyone can join Southwark libraries and borrow items from the collection!
All the books have been selected by the Latin American community, with the support of the Latin American Women's Rights Service.
Children: weekly and monthly activities
- Baby and toddler sessions run every Thursday 10.30am to 12pm. No sessions over the summer break
- Stories and Crafts every fortnight Saturdays 10.30am to 11.30am
- Homework Help children's pop in in for help with homework, every Monday, 4pm to 6pm. Term time only.
Adults: weekly and monthly activities
- Conversation cafe every Tuesday 4pm to 6pm. A free, friendly and informal ESOL group, meeting every week to help improve English language skills. For adults - no need to book
- Feel Better with a Book gives you a place to relax, a chance to make friends and a fresh way to share reading. Every Tuesday 2pm to 3.30pm
- Free computer classes and learning in libraries
What else is on offer
- Books, talking books and DVDs to borrow
- 10 adult study spaces available
- Free internet access - 5 PCs available for public use
- Photocopying facilities
- Free internet access and word processing facilities. You may need to book in advance
- Collection of the latest films on DVD
There is wheelchair access to the library but no dedicated parking. There are no toilets.