122 Peckham Hill Street
Tel: 020 7525 2000
Fax: 020 7525 0202
How to get to the library
Bus: 12, 36, 37, 63, 78, 136, 171, 177, 197, 343, 345, 363, 381, 436, P12, P13
Rail: Train to Peckham Rye
August Bank Holiday
All Southwark libraries will be closed on Monday 25 August 2014 for the August Bank Holiday. For all other days, libraries will have their usual opening hours.
- Monday 9am to 8pm
- Tuesday 9am to 8pm
- Wednesday 10am to 8pm
- Thursday 9am to 8pm
- Friday 9am to 8pm
- Saturday 10am to 5pm
- Sunday 12pm to 4pm
Activities for children this summer
How to make your dragon: Will your dragon be, masterful, friendly or invincible? We'll show you how to make a fabulous dragon, Tuesday 29 July 2014, 2pm to 3.30pm, age 4 and above.
The Cuming Museum Presents Mythical Creatures: Discover the story of the Japanese Kylin, then create your own mythical creatures to take home and bring you good luck! Saturday 2 August 2014, 2pm to 3.30pm. For all the Family.
Mythical Makeover: Will you be Medusa, a Troll, Unicorn a Mermaid or something else... Tuesday 5 August 2014, 2pm to 3.30pm, age 4 and above.
Comic and Graphic Novel workshop: Create your own graphic novel character, play drawing games and learn to draw a mythical character with illustrator, Emily Fellah, Wednesday 6 August 2014, 2pm to 3.30pm, age 7 to 14 years.
Myth Storymaker: Using characters from the mythical world, create your story and act it out, Tuesday 12 August 2014, 2pm to 3.30pm, age 4 and above.
Legendary Masks: Make a mask of a Minotaur, Mermaid, Cyclops or a Dragon, Saturday 16 August 2014, 2pm to 3.30pm, age 4 and above.
The Amazing Mythical Hunt: Find your Trolls, Mermaids, and Unicorns in the library, Tuesday 19 August 2014, 2pm to 3.30pm, for all the family.
Mysterious Dragons with author Margaret Bateson-Hill: Dragons will come to life when you hear fantastic stories, Wednesday 20 August, 2pm to 3pm, for all the Family.
Step into the Mythical Maze Game: With a roll of the dice, take yourself on an adventure through the tunnels of the labyrinth, in a race to be the first to find your way home. Tuesday 26 August 2014, 2pm to 3.30pm. For age 4 and above.
What else is on offer
- Seventy adult study spaces available
- Come along for a sing-song, for under fives, every Monday at 2pm to 2.30pm
- Baby and toddler session every Tuesday at 10.30am to 12pm. There are no sessions over the summer break
- Bookstart plus session every Wednesday during term-time, 10am to 11.30am
- Story Stop: Do your shopping then take a rest and stop off for a story. For children 3 to 8 years and the family, every Saturday, 11.30am to 12noon.
- Chatterbooks group fourth Thursday of every month, 4.30pm to 5.30pm, term time only. For ages eight to 12 years.
- Homework Help Drop In For Children, Wednesdays during term time, 4pm to 6pm
- Peckham Wii Gaming Club, every Friday, 4pm to 5.30pm, for 10 years and over.
- Feel better with a book, every Wednesday 11am to 1pm. Adult group where short stories and poems are read aloud. All welcome.
- Adult reading group last Tuesday of every month, 6.30pm to 8pm
Refreshments are available
- Photocopying facilities, colour and black and white
- Free internet access and word processing facilities. You may need to book in advance
- Free Wi-Fi
- Knitting Club first Monday of every month, 6pm to 7.30pm
- Over 50s Club first Friday of every month, 11am to 12.30pm
- Free computer classes and learning in libraries
Peckham Library's adult reading group is run by the superb author and storyteller, Sandra Agard, who also organises live literature events at the library.
Peckham's Black writing collection features a wide selection of black interest books and the library also features the largest collection of African music CDs in the borough. The extensive DVD collection at the library covers box office hits, arthouse and cult classics, world cinema and Bollywood titles. Peckham also houses a fantastic range of Graphic novels.
Access for people with disabilities
There is full access for people with disabilities including a lift to the library on the fourth floor and the activity 'pods' on the fifth floor. If you would like assistance with using the lift, please speak to a member of staff on the ground floor or fourth floor.
The following facilities are also available:
- Disabled access toilets
- Reading edge machine
- CCTV magnifier
- Evacuation chairs for emergency use