Sections including Council Tax are available on our beta site. We're adding new sections all the time - we've recently added Libraries. Please give them a try and tell us what you think...
122 Peckham Hill Street
email: Southwark Libraries
How to get to the library
Bus: 12, 36, 37, 63, 78, 136, 171, 177, 197, 343, 345, 363, 381, 436, P12, P13
Rail: Train to Peckham Rye
- Monday 9am to 8pm
- Tuesday 9am to 8pm
- Wednesday 10am to 8pm
- Thursday 9am to 8pm
- Friday 9am to 8pm
- Saturday 10am to 5pm
- Sunday 12pm to 4pm
Summer activities for children - Inspired by Roald Dahl
Puppets and Crafts Fun Make puppets of the Fantastic Mr Fox and the Enormous Crocodile. Children can also create masks of other popular characters. Tuesday 26 July, 2pm to 3.30pm
Mr Twit’s Decorative Beard What can we find in Mr Twit’s beard? Make the beard, decorate it and dress up as Mr Twit. Borrow and read The Twits for the Summer Reading Challenge. Tuesday 2 August, 2pm to 3.30pm
We Love Matilda: Trunchbull Training We imagine what it would be like to be taught by Miss Trunchbull the scary headmistress. Come in Miss Trunchbull costume if you dare. You can also have a go at making Miss Honey’s magic finger. Tuesday 9 August, 2pm to 3.30pm
Impressive Inventions Create recipes for delicious sweets just like the ‘Candy Man’ would. Devise concoctions for marvellous medicines and think of a name for your remedy. Write a shape poem in a medicine bottle or sweet wrapper, Tuesday 16 August, 2pm to 3.30pm
A Midsummer Night’s Dream Shakespeare workshop with the Freshwater Theatre Company. Children will enjoy this interactive session where they are introduced to Shakespeare’s work. Wednesday 17 August, 2pm to 3pm
The Big Friendly Readathon Roald Dahl books are great fun to read aloud so we’re going to read books together in a readathon. Everyone will read a part of the book and pass it along to the next person. Children of all ages can join in and parents are also welcome. Let’s see how big our readathon can be. Tuesday 23 August, 2pm to 3.30pm
Stupendous Stories and Poems Inspired by Roald Dahl, told by Sandra Agard, the centenary Storyteller in Residence at The Roald Dahl Museum and Story Centre. This event is for children aged five and over. Friday 26 August, 2pm to 3pm
James and the Giant Peach Come and celebrate Roald Dahl’s first classic children’s novel, James and the Giant Peach, written in 1961. Imagine what it would be like to enter a giant magical peach and the experience you could have inside? Make a giant peach and centipede mobiles. Tuesday 30 August, 2pm to 3.30pm
Kids have fun chatting about their favourite books and making related crafts. Tell us your favourite Roald Dahl Stories. Thursday 28 July 4.30pm to 5.30pm and Thursday 25 August 4.30pm to 5.30pm.
Colour Me happy
Colour Me Happy, Colour in popular book characters in this fun relaxing activity for all the family. Saturday 30 July 2pm to 3pm, Saturday 6 August 2pm to 3pm, Saturday 13 August 2pm to 3pm, Saturday 20 August 2pm to 3pm, Saturday 27, August 2pm to 3pm and Saturday 3 September 2pm to 3pm
The Last Poets Talk to be rescheduledUnfortunately, due to unforseen circumstances the talk on The Last Poets planned for 10 June 2016 at Peckham Library will not now be taking place. We hope to reschedule it for later in the year. Please follow @SouthwarkLibs for updates or email email@example.com if you would like to be informed when the new date and time is organised.
Children: weekly and monthly activities
- Baby rhyme time for under fives, every Monday at 2pm to 2.30pm and every Friday 10.15am to 10.45am
- Baby and toddler session every Tuesday at 10.30am to 12pm.
- Bookstart Session every Wednesday during term-time, 10am to 11.30am
- Story Stop: Do your shopping then take a rest and stop off for a story. For children 3 to 8 years and the family, every Saturday, 11.30am to 12noon.
- Chatterbooks group fourth Thursday of every month, 4.30pm to 5.30pm. For ages eight to 12 years.
- Homework Help Drop In For Children, Wednesdays during term time, 4pm to 6pm
- Peckham Wii Gaming Club, every Friday, 4pm to 5.30pm, for 10 years and over.
Adults: weekly and monthly activities
- Feel better with a book, every Wednesday 1pm to 2pm. Adult group where short stories and poems are read aloud. All welcome
- Adult reading group last Tuesday of every month, 6.30pm to 8pm. Please contact Sandra Agard for information about upcoming titles for discussion
Refreshments are available
- Knitting Club first and third Monday of every month, 5.30pm to 7.30pm
- Over 50s Club first Friday of every month, 11am to 12.30pm
- Free computer classes and learning in libraries
What else is on offer
- Books, talking books, DVDs, Blu-ray films, CDs, and PS3 games to borrow
- 70 adult study spaces available
- Free internet access - 28 PCs available for public use
- Photocopying and scanning facilities
- Free Wi-Fi
- Mobile recycling centre every third Wednesday of each month - bring along unwanted textiles and shoes; CDs/DVDs; electricals; ink-jet cartridges; lighbulbs and scrap wood and metal. Speak to a recycling officer about recycling and waste services in Southwark
- Meeting rooms for hire
Peckham's Black writing collection features a wide selection of black interest books and the library also features the largest collection of African music CDs in the borough. Peckham also houses a fantastic range of graphic novels
There is full access for people with disabilities including a lift to the library on the fourth floor and the activity 'pods' on the fifth floor. If you would like assistance with using the lift, please speak to a member of staff on the ground floor or fourth floor.
The following facilities are also available:
- Disabled access toilets
- Reading edge machine
- CCTV magnifier
- Evacuation chairs for emergency use