Travel and traffic advice and support
There are many benefits to reducing the use of cars for the school run and our top tips will help you achieve them.
School travel plan
A school travel plan is a written document, which helps pupils travel to school safely, healthily and sustainably.
For help, contact Southwark's Transport planning department.
Make travel safer
Integrate into the curriculum
- Survey, map and analyse transport to school in every class with questionnaires, google maps and numeracy activities
- Run a competition between classes to see who can make their travel to school the most sustainable
- Get lesson plans and activities from Sustrans
- Find out how children around the world get to school, design transport for the future, play games and enter competitions with Every Journey Matters
- Visit the London Transport Museum for curriculum focused sessions for all key stages. And get them to visit you for KS3/4 outreach sessions
- Get cycle lessons for children and staff
- Find out more on the TfL cycling webpage
- Get teachers pedalling with Tax free bikes or the TfL cycle hire scheme
What can we achieve?
Safer travel, reduced traffic outside school, lower pollution levels outside school, reduced carbon emissions, improved pupil health, improved learning.