Sections including Council Tax are available on our beta site. We're adding new sections all the time - we've recently added Pest control. Please give them a try and tell us what you think...
Organise an environment day or week
Organise an environment event
Organising an Eco Day or Eco Week can be a great way to get your school started on a course to becoming more sustainable. It can involve everyone and be a fun and exciting way to tackle some serious issues. Some ideas for a succesful event as well as useful contacts are listed below.
- Set a date - give yourself time to prepare
- Publicise - make sure everyone knows the event is taking place and what they will be doing
- Try to include everyone in the school as well as parents, governors and the wider community
- Decide on an achievement for the event, for example, an Eco-School award or something in place at the school, such as a new wildlife area or an energy saving poster campaign
- Invite someone to come and speak from talk action
Other organisations can help provide advice, resources, or take part. Here are a few suggestions
- Buildings and grounds: Groundwork, Southwark Parks
- Energy and water: Thames Water, Carbon Trust
- Purchasing and waste: Global Action Plan
- Global dimensions: Fairtrade, Oxfam
- Frame and display your Eco-Schools certificate
- Let everyone know about your achievements through the school newsletter, website, or plasma screen
- Get in touch with the local newspapers: Southwark News and South London Press
Do it again
Repeat the event next year, this time go for a week instead of a day, or a silver Eco-Schools award instead of bronze.