Food and drink advice
Most schools now enjoy food that is healthy for their pupils, but it's not necessarily so healthy for our planet. Find out how you can start minimising the environmental impacts of your school's food.
Reduce food waste
- Find out how to reduce kitchen and dining room waste.
- Participate in Fairtrade Fortnight with the Fairtrade Foundation or Oxfam. You can even become a Fairtrade School.
- Reduce the school's food miles by buying more local food or getting involved with British Food Fortnight.
Grow your own
- Grow vegetables, fruit and herbs in your school garden and use them in school meals. Get advice from the Royal Horticultural Society, the Year of Food and Farming.
- Start a cooking club involving pupils and parents. For advice and resources look at lets get cooking.
What can we achieve?
- Improved health and learning
- Use vegetables grown by the children in school meals
- More sustainable food and drink purchasing.