Three sections - 'Council Tax' , 'Benefits and support' and 'Bins and recycling'- are now available on our beta site. Please give them a try and tell us what you think. We'll be adding more shortly.
Organise an environment day or week
Organise an environment event
Organising an Eco Day or Eco Week can be a great way to get your school started on a course to becoming more sustainable. It can involve everyone and be a fun and exciting way to tackle some serious issues. Some ideas for a succesful event as well as useful contacts are listed below.
- Set a date - give yourself time to prepare
- Publicise - make sure everyone knows the event is taking place and what they will be doing
- Try to include everyone in the school as well as parents, governors and the wider community
- Decide on an achievement for the event, for example, an Eco-School award or something in place at the school, such as a new wildlife area or an energy saving poster campaign
- Invite someone to come and speak from talk action
Other organisations can help provide advice, resources, or take part. Here are a few suggestions
- Buildings and grounds: Groundwork, Southwark Parks
- Energy and water: Thames Water, Carbon Trust
- Purchasing and waste: Global Action Plan
- Global dimensions: Fairtrade, Oxfam
- Frame and display your Eco-Schools certificate
- Let everyone know about your achievements through the school newsletter, website, or plasma screen
- Get in touch with the local newspapers: Southwark News and South London Press
Do it again
Repeat the event next year, this time go for a week instead of a day, or a silver Eco-Schools award instead of bronze.