Sections including Council Tax are available on our beta site. We're adding new sections all the time - we've recently added Parking. Please give them a try and tell us what you think...
Whites Grounds skate park
The frameworks and implementation team has worked with the local community and investment partners to transform a run down railway arch in SE1 into an innovative new plaza style skate park.
The original design, which was voted runner up in the "Best Unbuilt Design in London", by the Royal Institute of British Architects has been built on the ground exactly as the designers, skate experts, and local community wanted it. The skate park was officially opened on Saturday April 28 2007 by the leader Cllr Nicholas Stanton and Simon Hughes MP.
Local firm DIVE architects worked with skate park designer Rich Holland, and members of the community both young and old to design the "plaza" style space. Results from several feasibility studies, including an area based traffic study and tunnels audit, support the proposed project.
The space is managed by Southwark Council's Play Services department. A local steering group has been set up to promote and improve the space, which will meet on a quarterly basis, and includes Downside Fisher Youth Club, Fair Community Housing Services, Southwark council's regeneration department, and Play Services.
How can I join in the fun?
The skate park is free to use once you have filled in a user registration form. Come along to one of the weekly sessions, you'll have fun even if you are a total beginner.
Please note that we are currently trialling the opening hours to find which ones work best for users, and these will be reviewed over time.
School term sessions
- The skate park is closed on Sundays
- Supervised sessions for young people will be on Fridays 2.30pm to 7pm and Saturday 11am to 4.30pm
- Unsupervised sessions for all ages will take place Tuesday to Thursday 2.30pm to 7.30pm
School holiday sessions
- Supervised sessions for young people will be on Monday, Wednesday and Friday 10am to 12 noon
- Unsupervised sessions for all ages Monday to Friday, 12 noon to 7.30pm. Saturday to Sunday 12 noon to 4.30pm
- For more information about session times, or if you are a group that would like to hire the space, please contact Peter Leandre on 020 7525 1102 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- For more information about how the project was developed, and to see pictures of the opening event, please download the Whites Grounds press release, or contact Dan Taylor as below.
New improvements to the skatepark
The council has recently appointed Forge Architects to develop proposals for the storage arches adjacent to the skatepark. Forge have developed a three phase proposal to regenerate the arches into a new youth facility, and the council has secured funding for phase 2A of the project. We have recently appointed contractors to complete the following works:
- Construct an additional skate ramp in the skatepark
- Build a managers "den," kitchen, and WC facility in the side arch
- Construct a new drainage system in the skatepark.
Works will commence in July 2009 and aim to completed in Autumn 2009.