Due to a fire in Walworth Town Hall on Monday 25 March, the Walworth One Stop Shop, Cuming Museum and Newington Library are closed. Alternative locations are now available for many affected services.
Local history library publications and fees
The library publishes a range of books and postcards covering many areas of local history. All the books are available at the Local Studies Library and many are available at the Cuming Museum.
You can order all the publications by post. Please send details of your order with a cheque made payable to the London Borough of Southwark.
Here is a list of the illustrated pocket histories of the communities within the London Borough of Southwark, and how much they cost
- The story of Peckham and Nunhead, by John Beasley, £3.50
- The story of Bermondsey, by Mary Boast, £1.95
- The story of Camberwell, by Mary Boast, £3.50
- The story of Dulwich, by Mary Boast, £2
- The story of Walworth, by Mary Boast, £4
- The story of Rotherhithe, by Stephen Humphrey, £3.50
- The story of Bankside, by Leonard Reilly and Geoff Marshall, £4
- The story of the Borough, by Mary Boast, £1.95
- The Story of the Borough: Expanded edition by Len Reilly, £6.50
Please add the following to your order as appropriate. making the cheque or postal order payable to the 'London Borough of Southwark'
£1.50 for up to two items
£3.00 for three to four items
£4.50 for five or more items
Two booklets are available to help walkers discover the fascinating history of Rotherhithe's once bustling docks and shipyards.
Walkers will be guided downriver to learn some forgotten facts about the landmarks they see along the way, like the river stairs where you could hail a waterman in his wherry, a pre 19th century taxi service.
Today the area is becoming a haven for wildlife so walkers are also urged to look out for nesting swans, tufted ducks and even pipistrelle bats.
The booklets, "Transport, Industry and the Docks" and 'Granaries, Shipyards and Wharves' were written by Stuart Rankin with the help of the resources in the Local History Library. They also include children's quiz leaflets.
Local history library fees
Review the list of fees for copying and private study, for information on the following
- Photocopying facilities
- Microfilm and microfiche photocopies
- Copies of photographs
- Copying publications
- Video and film reproduction fees