rating button

Southwark Council would like to use cookies to store information on your computer, to improve our website. Some of the cookies we use are essential for parts of the site to operate and have already been set.

You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy notice.

Jump to content | Change font size and colours |

| or register?

Choose a service...

We're building a new website...

Sections including Council Tax are available on our beta site. We're adding new sections all the time - we've recently added Libraries. Please give them a try and tell us what you think...

Find out more.

Council tax discounts

Disabled relief

This relief is calculated by decreasing the banding of your property by one band, for the period that the property is eligible. For example, if your property is a band C the relief will reduce your charge to that of a band B property. If your property is already in the lowest band A category, the charge will be reduced to five ninths of the charge of a band D property


To qualify for disabled relief, the disabled person:

  • May be an adult or a child
  • Does not have to be the person responsible for paying the council tax
  • Must be living at the property

A person with a learning difficulty or a mental health problem may qualify as well as a person with a physical disability.

To qualify for a reduction your home must have at least one of the following:

  • A room, which is not a bathroom or kitchen, that is predominantly used by and required for meeting the needs of the disabled resident. For example, a room used to store dialysis equipment.
  • A second bathroom or kitchen that has been added or adapted and is required to meet the needs of the disabled resident.
  • Sufficient floor space to permit the use of a wheelchair required for meeting the disabled resident's needs.

We will need to visit your property to confirm that it meets one of the above conditions.

Claiming disabled relief

If you wish to claim disabled relief, you can do so by completing our online disabled relief form. The claim needs to be made by the person who is liable for the council tax. However, if you are unable to complete this yourself you can

  • Ask someone to complete it on your behalf (e.g. a friend, social worker)
  • Contact the Rightfully Yours Team on 020 7525 7434

Our decision

Upon receipt of your completed form we will consider the information that you have provided. We will then either contact you to arrange a visit to inspect your property or advise you that you do not meet the qualifying criteria and so no inspection is necessary.

If an inspection is carried out, we will then write to you to confirm whether you qualify for disabled relief.

If you want to appeal against our decision you can do this using our online appeal form. On the form you should clearly state the reason for your appeal

While you are awaiting the outcome of your application or appeal you must continue to pay council tax in line with your current bill. If you are awarded relief you will then be issued with a further bill and new payment instructions. This will take account of any payments you have already made.

Bookmark this page

Share this page


Contact us

Southwark Council
PO BOX 64529
London SE1P 5LX

Useful contacts...

Follow us What is this?

  • RSS feed
  • youTube channel
  • twitter account
  • facebook fan
  • flickr photostream