Air quality projects in Southwark
Purpose of our Air Quality projects
We have developed projects to help improve air quality, reduce people’s exposure to poor air quality by bringing about the required behaviour change by raising awareness.
Over recent years Southwark has run several projects related to air quality.
- delivering the Cleaner Air 4 Schools Toolkit in several primary schools, helping those schools ensure they have up-to-date green travel plans and taking action to reduce their Carbon footprint and energy bills. In the academic year 2013/14 six of Southwark’s primary schools were engaged, the final report can be obtained here (pdf, 3.2mb)
- test trials of dust suppressants on construction sites (pdf, 2mb) and Nitrogen Dioxide reducing reactive surface coatings on new developments (pdf, 2.1mb)
- anti-idling campaigns on major routes to encourage drivers to turn off their engines when stationary
- increase awareness of the issue of poor air quality in Southwark, particularly with those at health risk
- encouraging the uptake of low emission delivery methods by commercial concerns
Page last updated: 29 August 2017