Challenging your bill
If you think your Council Tax bill is wrong, you can tell us what you think is wrong and ask us to check your bill. If you’re still not satisfied, you can appeal to an independent tribunal. You can also appeal against the date of a completion notice.
What you can appeal against
Your can make an appeal if:
- you’ve received a bill and you don't think you’re the person liable to pay
- your bill doesn’t include a discount and you think it should, or the amount of the discount is wrong
- your bill doesn’t include Council Tax Reduction and you think it should, or the amount of the reduction is wrong
- your home should be exempt from Council Tax, but you have been charged
- your bill doesn’t include a disabled band reduction and you think it should
- you disagree with the date on a completion notice
- you disagree with the valuation band for your home
Ask us to check your bill
Council Tax liability, discounts and exemptions
Council Tax Reduction
Appeal to the Valuation Tribunal (VT)
If you're still not happy after we have checked your bill, you can appeal to an independent tribunal. You must do this within 2 months of our reply to you after you have challenged your bill. You can also appeal to the VT if you haven't heard from us 2 months after challenging your bill.
You can't appeal to the tribunal unless you have challenged your bill first.
Council Tax liability, discount or exemption appeal
Council Tax Reduction appeal
Council Tax band appeal
Council Tax bands are set by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA), not the council.
You can ask the VOA to check your Council Tax band if you think it’s wrong. They’ll tell you how your Council Tax band has been worked out. If they agree your band is wrong, they’ll put it right and we’ll then update your Council Tax bill.
Completion notice appeal
You must do this within 28 days of the date the completion notice was served.
A completion notice tells you the date you must start paying Council Tax once your home has finished either being built or undergoing major improvements.
Council Tax booklet 2017/18
Download our Council Tax booklet (pdf, 1.2mb)
This is your guide to Council Tax 2017/18. It includes information on how much you will pay this year, how you can pay and if you're entitled to any discounts or exemptions.
Last updated: 04 July 2017