Different types of complaint

Not all types of complaint are dealt with the same way. Some complaints have separate appeals procedures. These include complaints about planning, parking tickets and school admissions.

Schools have their own complaints procedure. If you have a complaint about a school or member of school staff, you need to contact the head teacher. If you are still unhappy you can complain to the school's governing body. The school will explain the procedure to you.

By law we have a separate complaints procedure for Children’s Social Care, and we also have a separate complaints procedure for Adults Social Care.

Page last updated: 20 November 2017