Support and training
We want you to feel confident about your ability to provide the best care to Southwark children. We therefore give you the best support by providing you with:
- an excellent training programme to increase your skills to undertake the fostering role, including a four day ‘skills to foster’ course
- your own dedicated Supervising Social Worker who will visit you regularly to provide practical and emotional support. We offer round the clock support
- access to specialist health, educational and therapeutic support for the child(ren) you foster
- support from the Southwark Foster Carers Association and regular newsletters
- membership of Fostering Network for additional advice, information and support
- a ticket to the annual foster carers’ award ceremony, dinner and dance
- you can also join one of the foster care support groups once you become a foster carer
We provide a competitive allowance and a generous ‘setting up’ grant to help prepare the foster child’s bedroom.
Our allowance is linked to training and experience, therefore the more training you do to increase your skills and ability to care for the different needs of children, the higher the allowance you will receive.
You get an allowance for each child you care for.
Page last updated: 31 August 2017