Our local priorities
Southwark's Trading Standards service is responsible for protecting consumers and businesses by ensuring a fair and safe trading environment.
The team supports the council’s Fairer Future promises of a strong local economy where legitimate enterprise can thrive, and consumers have confidence in the goods and services they buy in Southwark.
Our priorities are:
- doorstep crime, scams and unfair trading - protecting vulnerable consumers from the fraudulent and financially abusive activities of rogue traders
- illegal economy - combatting the trade in unsafe, illicit and counterfeit products
- age restricted products - protecting the health and well being of young people by ensuring underage children are not sold age restricted goods and services
- rented housing - working with regulatory partners to combat rogue landlords and letting agents
Other areas of work include:
- providing compliance advice to businesses in the borough
- enforcement of weights and measures law and animal feed standards legislation
- administering good trader award schemes for the building and home maintenance trades and car sales and servicing businesses
- administering the PAL card - an approved proof of age card scheme for 16-25 year old living or studying in London
Page last updated: 04 April 2017