Approved food premises
If you run or intend to start up a business which makes or handles food of animal origin, your business may need to be approved by us.
Products of animal origin include:
- fresh meat
- minced meat
- meat products (ready meals, pies, sausage rolls)
- meat preparations such as sausages
- milk and dairy products (cheese, yoghurt etc)
- eggs and egg products
- fish and fishery products
If your business needs approval, you won't be requred to register as well.
To be approved, you'll need to meet the hygiene standards as set out in the:
- Regulation (EC) No 852/2004 - hygiene of foodstuffs
- Regulation (EC) No 853/2004 - specific rules for products of animal origin
Further guidance is available on the Food Standards Agency website.
Page last updated: 30 May 2017