Clinical and healthcare waste
We offer a household clinical and healthcare waste collection service free of charge to anyone living in Southwark. You must not dispose of your clinical waste with general waste.
How to request a waste collection
Please contact your GP, nurse or health visitor as they must complete and return a clinical and healthcare waste collection application form (pdf, 79kb).
Arranging your collection service
Once we have received your completed form, we will contact you to make collection arrangements.
We will supply you with yellow bags or 'sharp safe containers', depending on the type of waste being collected.
How and when your waste is collected
Your waste must be put into the yellow bags or sharps boxes provided.
Use of yellow bags
- make sure they are not more than three quarters full
- make sure they are securely tied. Do not use staples to close the bag
- do not include pharmaceutical waste, as this should be returned to a dispensing chemist for disposal
Use of sharps boxes
- these must be used for the disposal of needles, broken glass and any other sharp objects
- make sure they are securely closed before collection
- do not put sharps boxes inside yellow bags
All collection days are assigned according to postcode for both sharp safe containers and yellow bags:
- Monday: SE4, SE5, SE11, SE14, SE15, SE17
- Tuesday: SE19, SE21, SE22, SE23, SE24
- Thursday: SE1, SE8, SE16
Page last updated: 06 February 2018